Sunday, September 16, 2007

…And I’m back!

So it seems that my blog took a summer vacation.

A quick summary. In the last three and a half months I have:
• Been to Dar es Salaam twice
• Been to Nairobi once
• Had three sets of multi-day meetings.
• Submitted and been awarded a US$200,000 grant for Uhai Centre to train home-based care providers of people living with HIV/AIDS
• Prepared and almost submitted a 3-year core funding grant for Uhai Centre (just waiting on the accountant for the budget)
• Been named representative of the CUSO cooperants’ association
• Been named the coordinator of a new network for HIV/AIDS organizations that have CUSO cooperants
• Participated in talks about restructuring AAIDRO
• Marked 7 months in Tanzania!

Ok – so maybe my blog took a vacation, but I have been really busy!

You’ll notice I’ve added a reading list. These are the books I’ve read so far – I’m averaging about 2 books a month. There’s a good mix of heavy and light subject matter. I’ve also put in parentheses if the book deals with Africa or HIV – in case any of you might be interested too.

Of my books so far, I highly recommend the following:
• 28 – The BEST book I’ve ever read that explains the many, many facets of HIV and its context in terms of people’s lives, politics and economics

• The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith – these books are hilarious and touching. I found these three in the Arusha Library. I’d love to read more of the series if anyone can find them for me

• A Great Feast of Light – I learned so much about Irish history in this book – a topic I knew almost nothing about before. Why did we learn French and British history in school and nothing about Ireland (or Scotland for that matter)? Plus, John Doyle personally sent it to me, which makes it even better (thanks John!)

• Books by MG Vassanji – A little dark, but in these books, Vassanji talks about the land and history of where I am right now. I picked up some Swahili words too.

No comments: