Thursday, May 31, 2007

Top 10 Reasons to Quit Mefloquine*

10. CONSTANT ANXIETY
9. Nightmares about spiders
8. Waking up in the middle of the night certain there is a big spider somewhere on the outside of your mosquito net
7. Having to look under your bed before you go to sleep because you are worried a snake might have slithered in and be waiting for you under there (never mind that you’ve been assured it is VERY unusual to find snakes in town)
6. Waking up in the morning and your first thought is “Will there be a hole in my screen from where a snake came in?”
5. Reading that pilots shouldn’t take it because they need control of their fine motor skills. Oh, that explains why I’m bumping into things and terribly jumpy all the time
4. Did I mention anxiety?
3. Suspicion that your friends are being mean to you for no good reason
2. Nagging fears that because you are in Africa you will get some hideous disease
1. Oh my god is that a snake under my bed? No? Spiders? What, they’re just dust bunnies? Are you messing with me? What is this scratching? Didn’t I read about some African disease that starts with scratching? I can’t take this anymore…


*Mefloquine is a malaria preventative and treatment drug (a.k.a Lariam) that has a reputation for nasty side effects including anxiety and paranoia

No comments: