Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Electricity

It's now 16 hours and counting since our electricity went out last night - I'm posting while on my break at work. I will definitely have to throw out the mayo. I now understand why people buy things in tiny little amounts here.

I have been thinking I should add another list on the side that would show every time our electricity goes out - or a clicker that would add up the amount of time it is off.

While our water is not technically affected by the power outages, we have to pump it into a tank to bring it in through taps in the house and the pump is run by electricity, so when the reserve is gone, there's no more water from the taps until the power comes back. We have a spigot outside that comes right out of the ground, but there are lots of floaties that come out, so it's a last resort.

Most people have generators that fill in when the power goes, but we are on volunteer stipends, so we just light candles. As soon as everything goes dark, the next immediate sound is the diesel engines starting up on the generators. I can know before I even get home if the power is out by the sound of the generators.

I hope it's back on by the time I get home today - there's ice cream in the freezer (at least I hope it's still there and not a puddle)....

No comments: