Tuesday, October 2, 2007

(Almost) Getting Robbed

Twice now, I’ve nearly been a robbery victim.

The first time was when I was waiting for a bus to leave. It was not full and there were 2 guys. One tried to distract me by making me think he had dropped some coins under my seat, while the second guy tried to put his hand in my bag while I (ostensibly) went looking for the coins. A pretty clever scheme, except I saw the second guy’s hand going for my bag and slapped it away while yelling at them. They couldn’t get out of the bus fast enough.

The second time was a bit more intimidating. I was walking home from work at 4:30 IN THE AFTERNOON ON A BUSY STREET and two guys came up behind me, much too close for my comfort. Just as I was going to stop and let them pass, one of them cut the strap of my bag that I had slung across my body (I don’t trust just a shoulder – too easy to snatch). We had a bit of a tug-of-war, which I won and the guy ran off while I screamed at him F&@* OFF!!! Kind of a knee-jerk reaction. I think the second guy was supposed to grab the now-free bag, but I looked him right in the eye and asked if the other guy was his friend – he just slunk off into the bushes.

Some friends were able to identify the would-be thief and I found out that this was his regular “day at the office” when he robbed some other tourists, but got caught. He was sentenced for 6 years. It only felt slightly satisfactory – he’ll probably come out of jail smarter and a better thief.

Personal security here is a bit of a misnomer. It’s pretty hard to guarantee it sometimes. I know of many friends who have been robbed in Arusha, and some them very violently. One friend in particular has told me about being threatened with big bush knives (just a few months ago) and guns, and even one time being stabbed with a screw-driver. This is not a person who is involved in the kinds of activities that would invite violent attacks. Every time, it was when he was walking home at night. All the locals here profess a willingness to fight tooth and nail to prevent someone else from stealing their hard-earned money or stuff. On the one hand I can understand – money and stuff doesn’t come easily here. Who wants to lose it at the drop of a hat? But it’s not worth a life, is it?

These kinds of things make me nervous. If I can have someone more or less pull a knife out on me on a busy street and no one does anything –what can happen at night in a town with almost no street lights? Nine out of ten times, I am fine, but there’s always that one time….

No comments: