Sunday, October 7, 2007

I have malaria!

Seriously. I can't believe it. I don't feel a thing.

I went to get checked for some other not-so-nice symptoms that I don't particularly care to describe, but I can summarize by saying that I thought it might be amoebas. They took a finger-prick blood sample (and other unpleasant things) and a couple of hours later told me I had malaria. I asked the doctor about having no symptoms and he said I clearly don't have the worst kind (p. falciparum). And apparently I don't have amoebas either.

For you tropical medicine enthusiasts:
I was prescribed artemisinin (natural and derivative), which is a very old, very well-known treatment for malaria, but has been passed over for a long time in favor of other treatments like mefloquine. Malaria is becoming resistant to those drugs, however and now artemisenin is being "rediscovered." It kind of makes me feel wierd, though. Oh well - there are only 5 days of treatment.

In the mean time, I'm taking a couple of days break from work. Malaria might explain why I've felt so tired, although it has been called 'the great immitator' since its symptoms often mimic those of other problems. Either way, it's a good excuse to get some rest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care of yourself girlie!